- pumps 2,000 gallons of blood through 60,000 miles of blood vessels every day
- beats at a rate of roughly 70-75 times a minute
- creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles per day (over a lifetime that's 480,000 miles!)
And though the human heart weighs only about 11 ounces, the Bible tells us it is able to reveal our true condition (Proverbs 27:19).
So, what's the problem?
We all have heart disease. We've been infected with sin. According to Jeremiah 17:9-10:
"The human heart is most deceitful and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? But I know! I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve."Yikes! If that didn't scare you, read this:
"For the Word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Nothing in all creation can hide from Him. Everything is naked and exposed before His eyes. This is the God to whom we must explain all that we have done" (Hebrews 4: 12-13).
"It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Hebrews 10:31).
And in case you're thinking He couldn't possibly mean you since you're not that bad, think again. Romans 3:10 says,
"There is none righteous, no, not one."
Sounds rather ominous, doesn't it gang?
You better believe it. But remember this is what God says, these are the testimonies of Scripture. Ignore them, dispute them, discount them, reject them at your own peril.
So, what's the prescription? Nothing short of a heart transplant.
"And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so you will obey My laws and do whatever I command" (Ezekiel 36:26-27).What do we need to do?
"For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9).A wise man once said: "The condition for righteousness, that is for being justified, is internal faith. The condition of salvation, meaning deliverance from wrath and from the power of sin, is external confession, which is calling on the Lord for help." -- Bruce K. Waltke, Th.D.
- Associated Press: Putin oversees Russian nuclear forces exercise; relations between Russia and the West have plunged to their lowest point since the Cold War over Ukraine
- Fox News Channel: EPA employee keeps job, receives bonus despite watching up to six hours a day of porn at work
- CNSnews.com: Harvard will host 'Reenactment' of Satanic mass; Black mass scheduled to occur in Memorial Hall at Harvard Univ. on May 12.