In 1967, Egypt started the 6 Day War and Israel shocked the world with it's military superiority. Though grossly outnumbered, the Jews managed to conquer the Sinai, the city of Jerusalem, the West Bank, and the Golan Heights. Since that time, in a quest for peace, Israel has forged formal treaties with Turkey, Egypt, and Jordan, withdrawn from Gaza, the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Lebanon.
But major changes are underway in the Middle East. Arab rebels have overthrown the governments of Libya, Egypt, and Tunisia. Syria is enmeshed in a bloody power play. U.S. President Barack Obama, speaking of the revolutions, said: " Something is happening in our world. The way things have been is not the way they will be. The humiliating grip of corruption and tyranny is being pried open. Technology is putting power in the hand of the people." That may be true. However, power is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. The Muslim Brotherhood is moving into the vacuum.
Oh yeah...stuff's happening, all right.
- Only days after the Gaza cease fire, 3 Iranian missile engineers managed to slip into the Gaza Strip--already rearming the terrorists.
- Billboards on 3 major roads in Gaza feature depictions of Fajar-5 missiles and express open gratitude to Iran in 4 languages.
- The Palestinian leadership is warning the U.S. that failure to support its bid for statehood at the United Nations this week will further strengthen Hamas after the Gaza fighting by suggesting that violence, rather than diplomacy, is the way to win concessions from Israel.
- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, emboldened by his success last week in reaching a truce between Hamas and Israel, has made sweeping changes to the Egyptian Constitution. Morsi, in effect, has appointed himself as a dictator over the Egyptians. Cairo erupted in riots as more than 100,000 people took to the streets in violent protest.
While things may very well be happening in the Middle East, none of it is good.
Israel is in a precarious position: surrounded by hostile and increasingly unstable, unpredictable, and unscrupulous neighbors.
Yep--Obama is right. The way things have been is not the way they will be. "Surely the Lord God does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets" (Amos 3:7). And guess what the prophets all agree on?
In the end, after many trials and tribulations...Israel wins!
"Sing, O daughter of Zion!
Shout, O Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!
He has cast out your enemy.
The King of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
you shall see disaster no more"--Zephaniah 3:14&15.
Words to the wise: Jesus did not come to make bad men good; He came to make dead men live.
- Reuters: Record breaking gun sales crash FBI computers on Black Friday
- CNBC: Fitch downgrades Argentina and predicts default
- The Wall Street Journal: U.N. to seek control of the Internet next week
- NBC: The U.N.approves Palestinian statehood resolution despite opposition from U.S. and Israel.