Good news, right? They'll stop the waste, the fraud, the pork, and maybe even cut back on a few entitlement programs...
But no...That would make too much sense.
Instead, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel plans to shrink the United States military to its smallest force since before WWII. "This is a budget that recognizes the reality of the magnitude of our fiscal challenges," Hagel said.
Anticipated cuts include:
- retiring the famed U-2 spy plane in favor of drones
- the elimination of an entire class of Air Force attack jets
- a huge reduction in the number of troop personnel
- and many, many other cuts too numerous to tell
"For the first time in 13 years, we will be presenting a budget to the Congress of the United States that's not a war-footing budget," Hagel said.
Downsizing due to modernization and budget constraints.
"There are difficult decisions ahead," Hagel said. "That is the reality we're living with."
Supposedly, our military will "become a smaller, more tactical force capable of fighting on one war front and maintaining effective defenses for a second."
Really? Tell that to the rest of the world (especially China and our old pal Vladimir Putin). How come we're downsizing while everyone else is building up?
Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) says, "It doesn't make strategic sense."
And he's right.
Why cut forces at a time of heightened threats?
Retired Army General George Joulwan, a former NATO Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, said he thought the changes were necessary.
"Whether it's smart or not is yet to be seen. But I think it's necessary to do, given the constraints that we face fiscally within the United States," said General Joulwan.Remember the old adage: "Jack of all trades, master of none?"
That's our Federal government.
They've got two assignments: Defend us and keep our infrastructure from falling apart.
Instead, they've got their hands on everything: health care, private finance, just name it, they claim it.
On the bright side, a few more military cuts and all the potholes won't matter anymore.
A wise man once said: "We're in greater danger today than we were the day after Pearl Harbor. Our military is absolutely incapable of defending this country." - Ronald Reagan
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven...A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up...A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." - Ecclesiastes 3: 1, 3, 8
- Associated Press: Russia mobilizes fighter jets, troops near Ukraine border; US warns Russia using military force is a 'grave mistake'
- Sky News London: Situation in Ukraine chaotic; Russia warns of "Dangerous" dilemma, urges US and EU not to intervene.
- CNN: Protests erupt in Venezuela, turn violent as opposition leaders blame government officials for unrest