First, it's important to recognize that the fulfillment of bible prophecy does not happen out of the blue.
For example: Nobody is going to pull the Antichrist out of a hat one day. He will most likely rise to power in response to a global leadership vacuum.
Secondly, while bible prophecy gives us a complete overview of God's plan for mankind and this planet, it doesn't give us every detail. We must surmise the rest.
For example: Because the United States is not mentioned in the end-time scenario, we are left to guess (by watching events unfold) the reason why.
So how does Ukraine factor in?
If Russia is Magog (as detailed in Ezekiel 38), what is happening in Ukraine, and what happened in the former Soviet nation of Georgia in 2008, should come as no surprise. Whether Putin is Gog or not, it's way too early to tell.
But one thing is clear:
Vladimir Putin is taking Russia a giant step closer to fulfillment of Ez. 38 and the rise of the Antichrist.
- His goal is to restore the power of the Soviet empire
- If Ukraine allies with Europe, it will be a huge blow to that goal. Putin will do everything in his power to stop that from happening.
- Russia, a major supplier of natural gas to Europe, uses it to manipulate and gain wealth and power (this will factor into their motivation to attack Israel, as Israel has recently discovered she is virtually swimming in oil).
- If the Ukraine situation ends up as the Georgia one did, Russia gains back a little more power, and will be emboldened to try for more.
- This will eventually cause Europe to seek a strong leader to counter Putin (and his like), and to unite into a much stronger union (as predicted in Revelation 17:12), going from 28 nations down to 10 regions.
- Meanwhile, Israel is on a collision course with Magog (Russia), Persia (Iran), Ethiopia, and Libya (along with many others).
In other words: Nations from all directions will form a coalition against Israel. But it won't happen out of the blue.
Because the student of bible prophecy knows what to look for, we've been alerted to watch this prophecy progress toward fulfillment for years in terms of:
- the Arab Spring
- the recent military alliance between Russia, Iran and a number of countries in the region
- the gutting of the US military, economy and subsequent unwillingness to fight
- the increasing aggression of Russia
- the discovery of massive oil reserves in Israel
- the increasing isolation of Israel and the unreliability of her allies
The crisis in Ukraine is (as Pink Floyd once lamented) Just another brick in the wall...
"I am God, and there is no one else like Me. Only I can tell you what is going to happen even before it happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish" - Isaiah 46:10.
A wise man once said: "As the Sovereign of the cosmos, God can do anything He desires. His pleasure (Ps. 147) includes the salvation of His people (Zeph. 3:17) and the worship of their hearts (John 4:23-24). - William Van Germeren, PhD.
- Press Telegram: Hilary Clinton compares Putin's action in Ukraine to Hitler's run up to WWII
- NBC: US sends six fighter jets to Baltics, more airmen to Poland in response to crisis in Ukraine
- DEBKA File: Israel's navy seizes Iranian missile ship headed for Gaza
- Fox News Channel: Russia's Vladimir Putin nominated today for the Nobel Peace Prize