The Greek word tupos is translated as "examples" and means: as a pattern, illustration or type. In other words a Biblical pattern or type is an illustration that reveals a truth of Scripture. Many of them point to God's plan of salvation and some mirror the death and resurrection of Christ. Last week we zeroed in on the correlation between ancient Israel and the United States. This week we want to expand on that.
1Corinthians 10:11 goes on to say, "Now all these things (God's discipline or judgment) happened to them (ancient Israel) as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come."
God warned His people over and over again through the prophets but they didn't believe them. Finally, God had no choice but to discipline them like a parent disciplines an unruly child. They only rebelled more.
The nation grew deaf to the repeated warnings. God was forced to remove the hedge of protection of national security that had kept them safe. And finally, calamities were allowed to come upon them in waves--with time between to allow for repentance. If there was no repentance, another wave would hit. And another. And another.
In his book The Harbinger, Jonathan Cahn makes the case that 9/11 was America's first wave. He believes the financial meltdown in 2008 (following seven years after 9/11) was the second wave, and that many more waves will come if we don't repent. While we don't necessarily endorse Cahn's book, it's interesting to note the uncanny "coincidences" between ancient Israel's reaction to being attacked by a foreign entity and America's reaction to 9/11.
Has God removed America's hedge of protection? We don't know, but God gave Solomon some good advice in 2 Chronicles. He said, "...if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)
God was speaking to Solomon about His people, the Jews, but we believe the principle holds true for us. Maybe it's time to humble ourselves so God won't have to.
Homework: Follow God's advice. Repeat as necessary.
A wise man once said: "When the ways of people please the Lord, He makes even their enemies to live at peace with them." -Proverbs 16:7
- Jerusalem Post: Iran threatens to target U.S. bases if attacked; warns missiles could reach all parts of Israel.
- Debka File: U.S. Senator McCain slams Obama's Iran Stuxnet attack leak.
- AFP (Agence France Presse): Putin warns of worsening Syria conflict: refrains from openly backing al-Assad regime
- Reuters: Top Italy banker says risk of Euro breakup growing; "on the edge of the abyss"
- The Wall Street Journal: Euro-Zone data deepen gloom; jobless rate of 11% suggests region's economy will continue to flounder
- CBN News: Egypt's Mubarak sentenced to life in prison for role in protester deaths; sons acquitted.