Israel lost two champions of the Western confrontation against a nuclear-armed Iran last week. First, U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron's government coalition got trounced in local elections, then on Sunday, conservative French President Nicolas Sarkozy was swept out of office. Both of these leaders were willing to go to bat against Iran. Though not necessarily a friend of Israeli PM Netanyahu, Sarkozy, more than any other Western leader, seemed to grasp the gravity of a nuclear Iran. He spoke out forcefully against allowing the unthinkable to happen and accepted the inevitability of having to go to war to stop it.
Sarkozy was one of the few French leaders of recent times willing to stand up and fight. His help was pivotal in the overthrow of Muammar Qaddafi. He was willing to intervene in Syria. His pro-Israeli policies got him into trouble with the French-Muslim voter, and may even have cost him the election.
Israel is sure to miss him.
And let's not forget Russia. It's only been a few weeks since Vladimir Putin got back into office and already he's making life difficult for Benjamin Netanyahu. If Russia backs Iran (as it is threatening to do), the situation becomes a whole new ball game. And you can bet that won't be lost on Iran.
God's message to Gog (Russia):
"This is what the Sovereign Lord says: 'At that time evil thoughts will come to your mind, and you will devise a wicked scheme. You will say, "Israel is an unprotected land filled with unwalled villages! I will march against her and destroy these people who live in such confidence! I will go to those once-desolate cities that are again filled with people who have returned from exile in many nations.'" Ezekiel 38:10-12
"When My people are living in peace in their land, then you will rouse yourself. You will come from your homeland in the distant North with your vast cavalry and your mighty army, and you will cover the land like a cloud. This will happen in the distant future." Ezekiel 38:14-16
Because Israel is not exactly living in peace in unwalled villages, we believe this prophecy won't be fulfilled next or at least not entirely. It is possible Israel:
- has initial, limited skirmish with Iran, setting back its nuclear program.
- deals with neighbors. (see Psalm 83)
- is hit by Gog in a full-fledged surprise attack when she believes she's living in peace and security.
Let's keep our eye on the ball (God's Word). All the players are in the dugout getting ready for the end-game to begin.
- CNN: Obama comes out in favor of gay marriage
- CNBC: Debt to GDP ratio exceeds 100%
- WorldAffairsBrief.com: FBI: Fake Underwear Bomb Plot Proves Need for Warrantless Surveillance
- Jerusalem Post: Hamas PM: Hamas will not go to war for Iran
- Reuters: US House panel focuses on China's defense build-up
- The Washington Times: Justice Dept. accuses Ariz. Sheriff Arpaio of racial profiling