The purpose of Bible prophecy is to authenticate the living and powerful word of God--but it doesn't end there. Though the message can frighten unbelievers, for the believer it is a message of hope. God has a plan for the world, for history and for each one of us. There is a new dispensation coming and we are experiencing the "birth pangs".
For the believer, this time of trouble ought to have a purifying effect. As we see the words of the scripture fulfilled before our eyes, it should cause us to draw closer to God and to warn others. We should stop "playing church" and get serious about our faith.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. The Bible tells us that in the last days the church at large (mainstream denominations) will grow weak. So weak, in fact, that Jesus wondered if He would find any faith at all at His return.
People will turn to false teachers that only sound like Christians. How can we know who's true and who's false? Listen to their message:
- Do they teach the Gospel? Do they give the message that Jesus is the only Son of God, born of a woman in order to live a perfect life, die for our sins (in our place) and then rose from the dead in accordance with the scripture?
- Do they teach day after day, week after week from the Bible as the only word of God?
- Do they teach you how to be prosperous?
- How to win friends and influence people?
- How to name it & claim it? blab it & grab it?
True Christian teaching will not make you rich, or popular, or beautiful. It should over time make you more like Jesus, prepare you for the next life and cause you to be pleasing to God. It isn't easy and it isn't accomplished overnight. It takes a lifetime of walking as close as possible to the Savior. So what should we be doing in these perilous times?
We should turn away from false teaching and religious activities that have nothing to do with a true relationship with God and turn wholeheartedly to the only One who can save us.
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren" Romans 8:28-29.
- msnbc.com: North Korea Rocket Breaks Up After Launch
- Jerusalem Post: Turkey: Syria truce deadline void; border clashes kill 3
- Fox News: Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan join US in massive war games in Persian Gulf
- Reuters: Indonesia 8.6 strike-slip earthquake largest ever recorded
- CBN News: Planned Parenthood Launches "Prayer Campaign" For Abortions; not for the unborn baby