But will there be a war with Israel's immediate neighbors first as Psalm 83 seems to suggest?
While the precise timing of Ezekiel's prophecy is unknown, he did leave us a number of clues. For instance:
- It will happen in the 'latter years', after the final restoration of the Jews to the Land, but before their spiritual rebirth
- The attack will come from a coalition of nations including an instigator from 'the far North' of Israel. (though Russia is not mentioned by name, it lies directly north of Israel)
- Persia (present day Iran), Ethiopia and Libya are all specifically included in the list of coalition troops
So how close are these events? We don't know for sure, but there's an old saying: "When you see Christmas decorations going up--you know Thanksgiving is near."
Here is what we see 'going up':
- Iranian nuclear ambitions escalating
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad vowing to wipe Israel "off the face of the map"
- Ahmadinejad claiming he's been chosen by Allah to usher in the "end of the world" through a nuclear holocaust
- A military alliance between Russia and Iran emerging for the first time in history
- Ethiopia buying Russian-made weapons
- Russia arming Saudi Arabia
- Russia selling missiles to Syria
- Revolutions in the Arab world and deteriorating ties with Turkey
- Turkey expelling the Israeli ambassador, and terminating trade relations with Israel
- The governments of Libya, Egypt and Syria in danger of being overthrown by the Muslim Brotherhood--an organization hostile to Israel
- And just Monday, IDF Chief, Major General Eyal Eisenberg warned of a regional war breaking out as a result of the Arab Spring, with the possibility of WMD being used.
It's beginning to look alot like Christmas...
- Texas wildfires destroy 1,000 homes after burning 3.6 million acres over 300 days. The heatwave and drought continue with no end in sight.
- Atheist group sues over WTC cross at Ground Zero Memorial, while NYC bans clergy from 9/11 ceremony.
- Torrential rains force thousands to evacuate already soaked U.S.Northeast.